Prospective DVM Students
VSTP applications are accepted annually from prospective DVM students. Successful VSTP applicants will be chosen based on the following factors:
- Commitment to research
- Quality of the proposed research program
- Letters of evaluation from persons familiar with the applicant's past/present research
- Scholastic achievement (undergraduate/graduate programs)
DVM (VMCAS) APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 18 at 11:59 pm EST (8:59 pm PST)
Ph.D. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Admitted VSTP students will apply to their PhD program(s) of interest at the beginning of their second DVM year (V2). Most VSTP students are in the Ph.D. programs in Immunology, Integrative Pathobiology, Epidemiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Biological Sciences, but all graduate programs are available for application.
1. Submit completed DVM application (via VMCAS) by September 18th. All submitted applications need to be verified by VMCAS, which can take up to four weeks. Once applications are "verified" by VMCAS, they will be imported to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Applicant Portal. By submitting all of your transcripts BEFORE the deadline (September 18, 2023), you will greatly improve your chance of having your application verified early with time to make corrections if needed. Applicants are notified via email when their VMCAS application has been added and are provided instructions on how to set up their applicant portal, complete a secondary application, and pay the processing fee.
2. The following items must be received by the dates below
UC Davis Applicant Portal (by October 16th)
- DVM program secondary application (personal statement and three eLORs)
VSTP Online Application (by October 16th)
- VSTP program statement of intent (7,500 character limit, including spaces). Statement should include research background, interests, research experience, and reasons for pursuing a dual degree program.
- Resumé or curriculum vitae and list of any publications (accepted, submitted, or in review).
Emailed to the VSTP Director and Coordinator
- In addition to the REQUIRED 3 VMCAS letters of recommendation for the DVM program, applicants to the VSTP program must submit a minimum of 2 additional letters of recommendation from research scientists which address your research potential. If a research scientist provided a letter for the DVM application, they are welcome to provide a separate letter for the VSTP application. All VSTP letters should be sent directly to Dr. Bethany Cummings (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Erin Kent (email@example.com) by October 16th.
For further information, contact:
Dr. Bethany Cummings DVM, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Director of VSTP
SVM Dean's Office