Prospective DVM Students
VSTP applications are accepted annually from prospective DVM students. Successful VSTP applicants will be chosen based on the following factors:
- Commitment to research
- Quality of the proposed research program
- Letters of evaluation from persons familiar with the applicant's past/present research
- Scholastic achievement (undergraduate/graduate programs)
- Graduate Record Examination (taken no later than August 31)
DVM (VMCAS) APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 15th
PhD APPLICATION DEADLINE: Admitted VSTP students will apply to their PhD program(s) of interest at the beginning of their second DVM year (V2). Most VSTP students are in the PhD programs in Immunology, Integrative Pathobiology, Epidemiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Biological Sciences, but all graduate programs are available for application.
1. Submit completed DVM application (via VMCAS) by September 15th. All submitted applications need to be verified by VMCAS, which can take up to four weeks. Once applications are "verified" by VMCAS, they will be imported to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Applicant Portal. Applicants are notified via email when their VMCAS application has been added and are provided instructions on how to set up their applicant portal, complete a secondary application, and pay the processing fee.
2. The following items must be received by October 15th
UC Davis Applicant Portal
- DVM program secondary application (personal statement and three letters of recommendation)
- GRE Scores taken no later than August 31 sent directly to VMCAS with Institution Code 4804. No scores from before August 31, 2015 will be accepted for the 2020-2021 application cycle.
VSTP Online Application
- VSTP program statement of intent (7,500 character limit, including spaces). Statement should include research background, interests, research experience, and reasons for pursuing a dual degree program.
- Resumé or curriculum vitae and list of any publications (accepted, submitted, or in review).
Emailed to the VSTP Director and Coordinator
- In addition to the REQUIRED 3 VMCAS letters of recommendation for the DVM program, applicants to the VSTP program must submit a minimum of 2 additional letters of recommendation from research scientists which address your research potential. These VSTP letters should be sent directly to Dr. Xinbin Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Erin Kent (email@example.com) by October 15th.
For further information, contact:
Dr. Xinbin Chen BVM, Ph.D
Distinguished Professor and Director of VSTP
SVM Dean's Office