Continuing DVM Students
VSTP applications are accepted annually from UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine DVM students in DVM years one and two (V1 and V2). Students applying in DVM year two (V2) must apply for a Ph.D. program at the time of VSTP application. Students applying in year one (V1) should NOT apply to a Ph.D. program at the time they submit a VSTP application.
Most VSTP students are in the Ph.D. programs in Immunology, Integrative Pathobiology, Epidemiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Biological Sciences, but all graduate programs are available for application. Questions about applying to a Ph.D. program can be sent to the VSTP Program Director, Dr. Bethany Cummings (email@example.com).
Current DVM students considering an application to VSTP are strongly encouraged to participate in the Students Training in Advanced Research (STAR) summer research program.
Applicants will be chosen based on the following factors:
- Commitment to research
- Quality of the proposed research program
- Letters of evaluation from persons familiar with the applicant's past/present research
- Scholastic achievement (undergraduate, graduate, and veterinary programs)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15 at 11:59 pm PST
VSTP Online Application
- VSTP program statement of intent (7,500 character limit, including spaces). Statement should include research background, interests, research experience, and reasons for pursuing a dual degree program.
- Resumé or curriculum vitae and list of any publications (accepted, submitted, or in review).
Emailed to the VSTP Director and Coordinator
- Three letters of recommendation from research scientists which address your research experience and/or potential. These VSTP letters should be sent directly to Dr. Bethany Cummings (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Erin Kent (email@example.com) by November 15th.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If applying in DVM year two (V2), students need to apply for a Ph.D. program by the program's priority deadline. Priority Deadlines can be found on each program's website. Questions about applying to a Ph.D. program can be sent to the VSTP Program Director.
For further information, contact:
Bethany Cummings, DVM, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Director of VSTP