Continuing DVM Students
VSTP applications are accepted annually from UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine DVM students in DVM years one and two (V1 and V2). Students applying in DVM year two must apply for a PhD program at the time of VSTP application. Students applying in the year one should not apply to a PhD program at the time of VSTP application.
Most VSTP students are in the PhD programs in Immunology, Integrative Pathobiology, Epidemiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Biological Sciences but all graduate programs are available for application. Questions about applying to a PhD program can be sent to the VSTP director.
Current DVM students considering an application to VSTP are strongly encouraged to participate in the Students Training in Advanced Research (STAR) summer research program.
Applicants will be chosen based on the following factors:
- Commitment to research
- Quality of the proposed research program
- Letters of evaluation from persons familiar with the applicant's past/present research
- Scholastic achievement (undergraduate, graduate and veterinary programs)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15
1. Statement of intent no longer than 7,500 characters (including spaces). Include research background, interests, research experience, and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program.
2. Completed VSTP application form. Deadline is November 15.
3. Resumé or curriculum vitae and list of any publications (accepted, submitted, or in review).
4. Three letters of recommendation submitted on behalf of the applicant describing the applicant’s research experience and/or potential. Letters should be sent directly to Erin Kent at the address below.
5. If applying in DVM year two (V2), students need to apply for a PhD program by the program's priority deadline. Questions about applying to a PhD program can be sent to the VSTP director.
For further information, contact:
Xinbin Chen, BVM, PhD
Distinguished Professor and Director of VSTP